Unsupported Browser This website will offer limited functionality in this browser. We only support the recent versions of major browsers like Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge.
(860) 649-8066

The Town of Bolton will hold its annual Shredding Event – Saturday, June 3, 2023 from 9 a.m. to noon at the recycling/transfer station. Residents from the Town of Bolton can bring documents for shredding to the recycling center. All rings and binders must be removed. Staples do not need to be removed. There is no limit to the quantity of documents to be shredded.

Budget Referendum Results:

YES = 579             NO = 556
Budget Passed.                             
FY2024 Budget 

Building & Land Use Department

Land Use Office                                      

The staff of the Bolton Land Use Office and its part-time consultants enforce the Building Code, the Public Health Code, the Bolton Planning & Zoning Regulations, the Bolton Aquifer Protection Regulations, and the Bolton Inland Wetlands Regulations, and provide staff support to the Planning & Zoning Commission, Bolton Zoning Board of Appeals, Bolton Wetlands Commission, and Bolton Aquifer Protection Agency, and other Committees and Commissions as requested. 


As of April 7, 2020, the Town of Bolton has signed onto the C-PACE program. C-PACE (Commercial Property Assessed Clean Energy) is an innovative financing solution from Connecticut Green Bank that makes green energy upgrades safe, accessible and affordable. With C-PACE, building owners can enjoy the advantages of energy upgrades immediately and pay for them over time through a voluntary benefit assessment lien, levied and recorded against the benefiting property, to be repaid along with real property taxes. It’s a safe investment that produces returns immediately and for years to come. Click here to learn more about how C-PACE can benefit you.                            

Building Permits / ViewPoint

The Building Official is responsible for issuing building permits and enforcing the Building Code in the Town of Bolton. The Town is among the first in the Capital Region to enable on-line building permit processing through ViewPoint. Building Permit applications are accepted online and Contractors, homeowners, and businesses may access ViewPoint at boltonct.viewpointcloud.com to submit their applications. Applicants may also submit their plans to the Town as PDFs uploaded to their application, or deliver paper copies to Town Hall. Applicants can then track their application as it makes its way through the Building Permit review and approval process in ViewPoint. Applicants who are unfamiliar with the ViewPoint system and who otherwise need assistance are urged to contact Danielle Palazzini.

Click Here to Access Building Permit Applications
Building & Land Use Permit Applications & Fees

Please Note: If you have never used the ViewPoint system, you will have to register an account with an email address and password of your choice.

If you have additional questions, please feel free to contact us at (860) 649-8066 ext. 6103. Building Permit Fees are calculated as follows: $30.26 for the first $1000, and $14.26 for every additional $1000 or fraction thereof.

We strongly encourage you to use the online permitting system as it does reduce manual input of the information by our staff and decreases the time it takes to process a permit. 

This information is meant to be a guide to assist the applicant in providing all necessary documentation for the most common permit types. While this guide covers core requirements, projects vary and as such, some applications may require additional submittals. As always our land use staff is here to assist you and guide you through the process. Please feel free to contact us with any questions.

The following are specific permit requirements pertaining to various projects. (Click on the links below for additional information on the specified permit type)


Decks and Porches


Furnaces and Boilers




Sheds and Accessory Structures



Solar Panels

Planning Processes for PZC, ZBA, Aquifer Protection, and Inland Wetlands Applications

Applicants for PZC, ZBA, Aquifer Protection, and Inland Wetlands approval are urged to visit those Commissions’ individual web page (PZC, ZBA, Aquifer Protection, Inland Wetlands) to see regulations, application forms, and related documentation. They are also urged to see the respective contact person listed above before submitting an application. The Land Use Office hosts Staff Review meetings on specific applications on an as-needed basis on Tuesday afternoons/evenings. Generally, these meetings are attended by the Planning Director, Building Official, Town Engineer, Wetlands Agent, Health District Sanitarian, and Highway Superintendent, as appropriate. Other officials such as the Fire Marshal and Regional Sewer Authority representative may be asked to attend if the nature of the application requires it.

State and Federal Home Repair and Rehabilitation Programs

Notice of Reconfiguration of Lot Line for First or "Free" Cut

Zoning Regulations

Required Inspections List