Adopted by the Board of Selectmen April 16, 1996.
Published in the Manchester Extra April 25, 1996.
Effective date: May 10, 1996.
OPEN SPACE PRESERVATION, ACQUISITION AND CONSERVATION ORDINANCE
1. It is recognized that pursuant to Connecticut General Statutes S7-148(c)(2)(k), that a special fund to be known as the Open Space Preservation, Acquisition and Conservation Fund (the “Fund”) be established, which Fund shall be used in whole or in part to acquire by gift or purchase, conservation easements, development rights, or parcels of property.
2. The Fund shall be in the custody of the Treasurer of the Town of Bolton and all or any part of the monies in said Fund may, from time to time, be invested in any securities in which public funds may lawfully be invested. All income derived from such investments shall be paid into the Fund and become a part thereof. The monies so invested shall at all times be subject to withdrawal from such investment for use as provided in paragraph 1, above.
3. Annually, the Treasurer shall submit to the Board of Selectmen, and the Board of Finance, a complete and detailed report of the condition of said fund, which report shall be made a part of the Bolton annual report.
4. Decisions regarding the use of monies in said Fund shall be made by the Board of Selectmen in their discretion. The Selectmen may consult, to the extent they deem appropriate, with other boards and agencies in the Town concerning the administration and carrying out of the purposes of such Fund.
5. The Board of Selectmen shall appoint an Open Space Acquisition and Conservation Preservation Committee which will consist of seven members and would include one member each from the Planning & Zoning Commission and the Conservation Commission. These two positions would be viewed as positions of those respective commissions, i.e., any member of those commissions can substitute for each other as members of the Open Space Preservation Acquisition and Conservation Committee. The five additional members would be appointed by the Board of Selectmen without restriction. The term of these five members will be three years and shall be staggered. The Open Space Preservation, Acquisition and Conservation Committee would consult with and invite the attendance of the Town Planner and members of the Selectmen to be in attendance at their meetings. The Open Space Preservation, Acquisition and Conservation Committee shall strive to accomplish the following purposes:
i. To develop and continually update a set of goals for open space preservation in Bolton;
ii. To develop a plan for attaining the goals;
iii. To make contact and work with land owners and developers in order to suggest and discuss ways in which important open space could be preserved; and
iv. To initiate programs for the funding of the goals set forth herein through donations.
6. There shall be deposited in such Fund (a) all monies received by the Town from whatever source and from whatever means are gifts for open space preservation purposes; (b) all monies received by the Town as government grants or loans for open space preservation purposes; (c) all monies received by the Town from the sale or voluntary conveyance of town owned land without buildings; and (d) all monies appropriated to said Fund.
7. The Fund shall continue in existence until by ordinance it is determined to amend or discontinue the same.
8. Upon dissolution of the Fund, any remaining balances shall be paid over into the general fund or such other fund as the ordinance terminating said Fund shall direct.