Applying for a Temporary Pistol Permit
New Temporary Pistol Permit Procedure as of August 10, 2021
The new temporary pistol permit registration for the State of CT and FBI Criminal History Check is done online and WILL REQUIRE a valid debit or credit card for payment.
*The Town of Bolton WILL NO LONGER EXCEPT CASH OR CHECK payment for the State of CT or FBI background check.
A paper application for your temporary pistol permit will also be required in this process.
- NRA Firearms Safety and Use Course Certificate:
Complete your NRA Firearms Safety and Use course. A Completion Certificate will be needed to apply for your temporary permit.
What are the minimum firearms training course requirements for pistol permit applicants?
You are required to complete a handgun safety course, which must consist of no less than the NRA's "Basic Pistol Course," prior to submitting the application. The NRA's "Home Firearms Safety Course" and "First Steps Pistol Orientation Program" are not approved courses.
Live fire is also required. Computer-generated programs, dry-fire, other simulated shooting tools, plastic bullets, air guns or any other alternatives are not acceptable. Students must fire a semi-automatic pistol or revolver.
- Certified Birth Certificate with raised seal or CURRENT U.S. Passport. Legal Alien Residents must provide Alien Registration numbers and 90-day proof of residency. Naturalized citizens require proof of citizenship.
- Photo I.D (license, state id, current passport)
- Privacy Statements. Please print, read, sign and date (at the bottom of each page) all three (3) pages of the privacy statements. Click here for privacy statements.
- Completed PAPER Temporary Pistol Permit Application – MUST BE NOTARIZED: Applicants must complete the Temporary Pistol Permit Application (DPS-799-C). A Notary is available in the Town Clerk's Office during regular business hours. Notary Fee is $2.00.
- Once you have completed all of the above steps and gathered all the documents requested you will need to:
- Call the Selectmen’s Office (860-649-8066 x6111) to schedule an appointment to drop off all your paperwork;
- Get your application notarized at the Town Clerk’s if needed - Notary Fee is $2.00 and;
- Register online and pay for your criminal history checks.